[DL] [Jobs] Research Fellows (3 posistions) - Data and knowledge management, processing and analytics Insight Centre for Data Analytics, NUI Galway
mathieu.daquin at insight-centre.org
Mon Jul 3 12:14:04 CEST 2017
Research Fellows (3 posistions) - Data and knowledge management, processing
and analytics Insight Centre for Data Analytics, NUI Galway. (NUIG 113-17)
Salary: €51,716 to €56,442 per annum.
Start date: Positions are available immediately.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00 pm BST on Friday 21st July
details on how to aply.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for 3
full-time, fixed term positions as Research Fellows at the Insight Centre
for Data Analytics, National University of Ireland, Galway. These
positions are available for an initial two year period and may be extended
depending on project success and future funding acquisition.
At Insight we offer a stimulating, dynamic, multi-cultural research
environment and a great research infrastructure, with excellent ties to
both leading research groups and industries worldwide. The successful
candidates will be expected to integrate one of the existing research units
on Linked Data Infrastructures (possibly as PI), Knowledge and Data
Management or Information Mining and Retrieval. They will be working in
collaboration with researchers and PhD students at the leading edge of
those fields, and will be expected to progressively develop their own
research trajectory as contribution to the strategic research direction of
the centre, in particular through establishing both academic and industrial
The successful candidate will be expected to perform a leading role in
research, supervision and research group management. They will work with
the unit head in supervising a team focusing on key research challenges in
one of the following (overlapping) areas:
- Network data analytics, including network science, graph/network
analytics and graph databases, web-mining, web-science, machine learning
and knowledge discovery, adaptive/explorative search and recommender
- Linked data infrastructures, including semantic web, distributed data
processing and integration, large graph analysis, open and public data,
semantic web applications, large-scale data solutions delivered through
international collaborative networks.
- Knowledge and data management, including knowledge graphs, data
discoverability, data traceability, data profiling, semantics-based data
management and distribution, autonomous production and consumption of data
and knowledge, ontology engineering, responsible use of data.
These positions are funded by the Insight Centre SFI Grant initially for 2
years. The Insight Centre at NUI Galway is part of the broader Insight
Centre network, comprising more than 400 researchers in Data Science and
Analytics. The successful candidate(s) will have the opportunity to
supervise and co-supervise Master and PhD students, as well as to possibly
contribute to teaching in the College of Engineering’s MSc in Computer
Science (Data Analytics). The candidate(s) will contribute to ongoing
research on a collaborative basis with other research units within the
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Carry out their own research, demonstrate leadership through
collaboration with junior researchers, and develop their own academic
- Assist the head of unit in the supervision and development of the
- Actively support the acquisition of additional funding for the group
and the institute
- Contribute to the dissemination of the group’s and centre’s research
- Make significant contribution to the on-going initiatives within the
Insight centre and the College of - Engineering and Informatics
- Collaborate extensively with relevant units and projects within Insight
- Collaborate with industry as part of industry research partnerships and
with international networks
- Participate as a member of the Insight Centre for Data Analytics Galway
team in a collegial way, assisting in the definition and realisation of the
scientific goals and vision of the institute.
- When required, support technology transfer into the community and
businesses through demonstrators and international co-operations
- Support the unit leadership and institute directorship with
administrative and unit/institute development tasks.
- A PhD in Computer Science with postdoctoral experience in topics
relevant to the position(s)
- A track record of internationally leading research in at least one of
the three topics mentioned above
- Demonstrated ability to express a clear research vision on one of those
- Proven technical ability to realise/develop/implement such a vision
- Demonstrated understanding and initial track record of raising research
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills
- Willingness and ability to supervise students and junior researchers
- Excellent skills in problem-solving, data analytics and programming.
- Demonstrated organisational skills, especially through contribution to
the organisation of scientific events such as workshops and tutorials
- Experience and understanding in external, non-expert communication,
including through media and social media
- Strong technical expertise in large scale data processing platform.
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made to:
- For Network data analytics, Dr Conor Hayes at
conor.hayes at insight-centre.org
- For Linked data infrastructures, Professor Dietrich Rebholz-Schuhmann
at rebholz at insight-centre.org
- For Knowledge and data management, Professor Mathieu d’Aquin at
mathieu.daquin at insight-centre.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the dl