[DL] Open POSITIONS in Semantic Web at Freie Universitaet Berlin
paschke at mi.fu-berlin.de
Thu Nov 25 19:02:08 CET 2010
Open POSITIONS at Freie Universitaet Berlin
Corporate Semantic Web
AG Corporate Semantic Web (http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/en/groups/ag-csw/) at
the Freie Universitaet Berlin is currently seeking candidates for two
positions as a PhD student in a 2-year industrial research project in
Semantic Patent Informatics and one position in a 1-year stipendium for a
Master/PhD/Post-Doc student in a industry research project on semantic
The Semantic Patent Informatics project is aiming at the semantic
representation and reasoning on patents and national patent laws. The
Semantic Multi-Media annotation project is aiming at the annotation of
multi-media objects in films.
Freie Universitaet Berlin is a leading research institution. It is one of
the nine German Elite universities successful in all three funding lines in
the federal and state Excellence Initiative. The AG Corporate Semantic Web
at the Freie Universitaet Berlin was founded in 2008 and has developed into
a challenging and dynamic research group. Our major objective is to
establish Semantic technologies as a core pillar of modern enterprise
information technology and systems.
* A stimulating environment of a leading research group in the fields
of Semantic Web, formal languages and reasoning, rule-based and
ontology-based systems and services
* Excellent ties to research groups worldwide
* Up-to-date infrastructure and resources, including funding for
attending international conferences, PhD symposia, summer schools, etc.
* Opportunity to work with internationally established academic and
* Multicultural working place with modern infrastructure and
The ideal candidate holds a very good Master degree (or German diploma
degree) in Computer Science or related field and is able to consider both
theoretical and practical and implementation aspects in her/his work. Fluent
English communication and programming skills are fundamental requirements.
* A strong background in Computer Science or related disciplines
* Willingness to work in an international environment
* The ability to take part in a large-scale international research
project with an industry partner
* Willingness to combine formal scientific work with
application-oriented research in order to solve real-world problems
* Research interest and expertise in at least one of the areas:
1. For the Patent Informatics Project:
Formal languages and reasoning (Description Logics, Logic Programming,
normative legal reasoning), rule and ontology languages, Semantic Web,
formal logic-based patent informatics, logic-based natural language
processing and knowledge representation.
2. For the Semantic Multi-Media Annotation Project:
Semantic Web, Multi-Media Annotation Ontologies, Linked Data and
Triplestores, Adobe Flash Programming, eCommerce Web Applications, automated
Object Recognition in Multi-Media films
The position starts as soon as possible and is a full-time position for the
Patent Informatics projects (salary TVöD TV-L 13) and stipendium for the
Semantic Multi-Media Annotation project (salary post-doc 2.500 Euro/Month,
Phd student 2.000 Euro/Month, master student 800 Euro/Month; + 100
Euro/Month per child).
Excellent candidates are invited to apply to one of these positions with:
· Curriculum vitae and copies of degree certificates/transcripts,
· Writing samples/copies of relevant scientific papers (e.g. thesis,
· Letters of recommendation.
The university strives to increase the proportion of women in scientific
service and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women. Also
handicapped applicants, if qualified, will be given preference.
Please send your application in a printed version indicating in the subject
"041950/CSW/SPI" for the Patent Informatics project and "041950/CSW/EXIST"
for the Semantic Multi-Media Annotation project to the following contact.
The application deadline is December 6th.
Contact and application:
Freie Universität Berlin
Institut für Informatik
AG Corporate Semantic Web
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the dl