[DL] Open position: PhD student in EU projects PeerAssist and PlanetData
hr at sti2.at
Mon Aug 2 13:35:38 CEST 2010
PhD student in EU projects PeerAssist and PlanetData
The Semantic Technology Institute (STI) Innsbruck ( <http://www.sti-innsbruck.at/> http://www.sti-innsbruck.at), formerly known as DERI Innsbruck, was founded in 2002 and has developed into a challenging and dynamic research institute of approximately 40 people. STI Innsbruck collaborates with an international network of institutes in Asia, Europe and the USA, as well as with global industrial partners.
Our major objective is to establish Semantic technologies as a core pillar of modern Computer Science, thereby providing interoperability and scalability for Semantically Enabled Service Orientated Architectures.
STI Innsbruck is currently seeking candidates for the position of a PhD student.
* The stimulating environment of a leading research institute in the fields of Semantic Web, Semantic Web Services, Service-Oriented Architectures and formal languages and reasoning.
* Long-term collaboration to well-known academic institutions and major companies around the world.
* A multicultural working place with state-of-the-art infrastructure and resources including funding for attending international conferences, PhD symposia, summer schools, etc.
* A strong background in Computer Science or Information Technologies and focused research interest and expertise in at least one of the following areas: knowledge representation, ontology engineering, semantic technologies, social networks and web communities research, mobile and RFID-enabled services, information retrieval methods, reasoning, formal languages, data mining, visualization techniques, human-computer interaction.
* A formal degree and interest required for pursuing a PhD at the University of Innsbruck.
* Interest in working for the EU projects PeerAssist and PlanetData.
The main objectives of the PeerAssist project are the conceptualization, design, implementation and demonstration of a flexible Peer-to-Peer (P2P) platform, which will allow elderly people (not necessarily familiar with ICT technologies) to build virtual communities dynamically based on interests and needs they share. The PeerAssist platform will facilitate establishing on demand ad-hoc communities with friends, family, neighbors, caregivers, facilitators, care providers, etc., based on shared interests and communication needs. The community building and the P2P interaction will be achieved using information extracted from peer roles, profiles and user modeling, context that describes the overall user environment, and the specific request initiated, or service provided, by a peer, all of which are represented semantically in a machine understandable form.
PlanetData ( <http://www.planet-data.eu/> http://www.planet-data.eu) is an EU Network of Excellence coordinated by STI Innsbruck. Its main aim is to establish an interdisciplinary, sustainable European community of researchers, helping organizations to expose their data on the Web in a useful way. PlanetData will push forward the state-of-the-art in large-scale data management and its application to the creation of useful, open data sets.
The projects’ consortia are interdisciplinary team of engineers and researchers in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Web Science and Knowledge Management from all over Europe of industrial and academic organizations. The contribution of STI Innsbruck is on semantic technologies for context-aware knowledge representation, capturing and processing of the information arriving from sensors, as well as on the design, prototyping and end-user evaluation of novel mobile and augmented reality services that comprise information about the communities and social networks. As part of the projects, the candidate will be also involved in community building, workshop and symposium organization, contributing to roadmaps and white papers, as well as supporting the provision of semantic and service infrastructures to the wider research community.
The projects will run for 24 (PeerAssist) and 48 (PlanetData) months, while starting in September-October 2010.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the dl