[DL] tableau or tableauX ?

Ian Horrocks horrocks at cs.man.ac.uk
Sun Apr 22 14:10:48 CEST 2007

The difference between tableau and tableaux is that tableau is
singular and tableaux is plural. Regarding inconsistency of usage, I
am guilty as charged; in my defence I would like to plead the
inadequacies of the UK education system, at least w.r.t. English

In fact, when used as an adjective (as in tableau algorithm, or
tableau decision procedure), I think that the singular form is
correct (we wouldn't, for example, talk about an apples pie). I think
that the only time that tableaux is needed is if we are using it as a
noun and talking about more than one of them. But what would I know :-)